ID# 236, (1916 - 1998)
|Father||Dr. Robert Linah Cobb Jr.2,4,5 (27 Apr 1882 - 16 Nov 1960)|
|Mother||Ledley Lena Logan2,4,5 (5 Apr 1882 - 1 Oct 1954)|
|Charts||Descendants of Dr. Davis Green Tuck|
Descendants of David Dutt/Toot
|Ancestry||The Cobbs of Pawlet, Vermont|
Narrative:William Gordon Cobb was born on 2 Apr 1916 in Trenton, Todd Co., Kentucky.6,7,8
He appeared on the 1920 Federal Census of outside of Trenton, Todd Co., Kentucky, in the household of his parents, Dr. Robert Linah Cobb Jr. and Ledley Lena Logan.4
He moved to Bolivar, Hardeman Co., Tennessee, with his parents on 1 Jan 1930.5 He appeared on the 1930 Federal Census of Bolivar, Hardeman Co., Tennessee, in the household of his parents.14
Becoming a Mechanical Engineer --- Text Stolen from ReigelRidge.com !! ---
William graduated from Central High School, Bolivar, Tennessee, in 1934 where he was third in his class.9 He graduated from University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1939 with a degree in mechanical engineering. During college he worked for 25¢ an hour as a chemist, and was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, like his father.9
After graduating from college, he worked as a mechanical engineer for the Fulton Sylphon Company and then the Tennessee Valley Authority. In 1940 he reported that he has worked 44 hours the last week of March, and had worked 18 weeks the prior year, earning $410.9,15
William appeared on the 1940 Federal Census of Knoxville, Knox Co., Tennessee, at 1515 Clinch Ave., enumerated 19 Apr 1940, lodging with three other men and a woman, all in their early 20's, in the home of Sarah E. McGill. He reported he had lived in the same city in 1935.16
Marriage and Family --- Text Stolen from ReigelRidge.com !! ---
William married first Grace Jean McLin, daughter of Alvin Ernest McLin and Daisy Mae Crawford, in Dec 1942 in Knoxville, Knox Co., Tennessee.9
William adopted Grace Jean's daughter by her prior marriage.9
William and Grace moved to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, in 1944 so he could work for Tennessee Eastman at the Oak Ridge Y-12 plant, part of the Manhattan Project. The three atomic plants in Oak Ridge were used to produce the elements needed for the bombs used against Japan during the War.9
After the war, he got a job with the government in Springfield, Ohio, and worked as an engineer there for a year or two. He returned to Oak Ridge in 1947 and got a job with Union Carbide, the company which had purchased the atomic plants in Oak Ridge from the government. He retired in 1980 after working for Union Carbide Nuclear Division for 33 years as a research and design engineer.9
They separated about 1955. One son was sent to live with William's sister and her husband in Clarksville, Tennessee for a time, and the other lived in Oak Ridge with friends of the family. The boys moved back in with Grace after about 6 months. Grace and William did not get divorced for years after they separated. Grace did not want to ask for a divorce because she wanted Bill to pay for the children's college education. He eventually asked for a divorce because he was interested in dating.9 William and Grace were finally divorced.
A Second Marriage --- Text Stolen from ReigelRidge.com !! ---
William married second Alice Mae Kaminky, daughter of John Frederick Kaminky and Ethel Amelia Wright, on 25 Nov 1967 in First United Presbyterian Church, Oak Ridge, Anderson Co., Tennessee, with Rev. Alexander M. Stuart officiating.10
He actively supported the Boy Scouts of America and the Lions Club, and was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church on Robertsville Road in Oak Ridge. In his retirement, he spent time on his hobbies of home projects, woodworking, metal lathing, model trains, and shooting pool.9
William died on 18 Jul 1998 in Oak Ridge, Anderson Co., Tennessee, at age 82.11 He was buried on 21 Jul 1998 in Oak Ridge Memorial Park, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.12,13
Children with Grace Jean McLin:
William and Grace's children are still living.
There were no children with Alice Mae Kaminky
- [S4379] William Gordon Cobb and Alice Kaminky McLean, marriage register.
- [S190] "Descendants of John Walton Barker and His First Wife Mary Meriwether."
- [S517] Robt. L. Cobb household, 1930 U.S. Census, Hardeman Co., Tennessee, shows name as William G. Cobb.
- [S521] Robert L. Cobb household, 1920 U.S. Census, Todd Co., Kentucky.
- [S55] Hardeman County Historical Commission, Hardeman County Historical Sketches, pg. 101.
- [S4371] The Oak Ridger, 20 Jul 1998, shows date, town, and state.
- [S4379] William Gordon Cobb and Alice Kaminky McLean, marriage register, shows date.
- [S521] Robert L. Cobb household, 1920 U.S. Census, Todd Co., Kentucky, shows age 3 8/12 and state.
- [S49] Freeman, Family File "David and Deborah.GED," 31 Jul 1998.
- [S4379] William Gordon Cobb and Alice Kaminky McLean, marriage register, shows date, church, city, county, state, and officiant.
- [S4371] The Oak Ridger, 20 Jul 1998.
- [S49] Freeman, Family File "David and Deborah.GED," 31 Jul 1998, shows cemetery.
- [S4371] The Oak Ridger, 20 Jul 1998, shows date and cemetery.
- [S517] Robt. L. Cobb household, 1930 U.S. Census, Hardeman Co., Tennessee.
- [S4369] Sarah E. McGill household, 1940 U.S. Census, Knox Co., Tennessee, shows occupation as mechanical engineer, industry as metal work.
- [S4369] Sarah E. McGill household, 1940 U.S. Census, Knox Co., Tennessee.