ID# 14450, (abt 1805 - bt 1830 - 1833)
|Father||Linah Mims1,4 (14 Nov 1772 - bt 1847 - 1850)|
|Mother||Rebeccah Davis1 (abt 1786 - bt 1828 - Jun 1830)|
Spouse: Elizabeth Pursley (about 1808 - )
No children of Addison and Elizabeth have been found.
|Charts||Descendants of Linah and Rebeccah (Davis) Mims|
|Ancestry||The Linah Mims - Rebecca Davis Family|
Narrative:Addison Mims was born about 1805.5,6,7
He moved to Christian Co., Kentucky, with his parents, Linah Mims and Rebeccah Davis, about 1817 or 1818.11,12 He was probably one of the two males age 10 to 16 listed in the household of his father in the 1820 Federal Census of Hopkinsville, Christian Co., Kentucky.13
He was named an heir in the will of his grandmother, Jane Clendenin, dated 10 Jul 1824, to receive a child of a young slave given to her brother Davis.14
Addison applied for admission to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1828. His application was rejected, for reasons that have not been discovered.15
Addison appeared on the tax lists of in Christian Co., each year from 1826 until 1830. He reported no property in any of those years. He does not appear in any later years, so it appears he left the area or had died.2
A marriage bond was posted for Addison and Elizabeth Pursley on 15 Apr 1828 in Christian Co., Kentucky. No return was posted in the record, but they were apparently subsequently married as she was later recorded as his widow.8,9
On 1 Sep 1828 Addison mortgaged a two-year-old bay horse to Robert Bradley in exhange for a note of $28.25, due with interest one year later.16
Addison apparently died between 1830 and 1833, as his wife was reported as widowed when she re-married in 1833.10
- [S2021] Christian Co. Wills D:181-3, names a grandchild Addison Mims as heir.
- [S2532] Christian Co. tax lists,, 1826 pg 42, Adison Mimms; 1827 pg 46, Addison Mims; 1828 pg 45, Addison Mims; 1829 pg 43, Adison Mims; and 1830 pg 47, Andrew Mimms.
- [S700] "Marriage Index: KY, NC, TN, VA, WV 1728-1850," Genealogy.com, citing FHL films 0465562 & 0466781 - 0466788, shows name as Addison Mimms.
- [S2030] Perrin, County of Christian, Kentucky, pg 281, shows Mr. Mimms was the father of Addison Mimms.
- [S2532] Christian Co. tax lists,, 1825 pg 43, Lineah appears reporting one white male over 21; 1826 pg 42, Adison appears reporting one white male over 21.
- [S584] Linah Mimms household, 1820 U.S. Census, Christian Co., Kentucky, shows one male under age 10, and two aged 10 to 16.
- [S585] Linah Mims household, 1830 U.S. Census, Christian Co., Kentucky, shows one male aged 5 to 10, and one aged 15 to 20.
- [S7393] Marriage Bonds, Christian Co., Kentucky, 1:93, no. 877, Addison Mims and Elizabeth Pursley.
- [S7394] Marriage Docket, Trigg Co., Kentucky, 1:47, no. 459, Henry Lander and Elizabeth Mims.
- [S7394] Marriage Docket, Trigg Co., Kentucky, 1:47, no. 459, Henry Lander and Elizabeth Mims, shows she remarried 18 Nov 1833.
- [S2532] Christian Co. tax lists,, 1817, Linah not found; 1818, book not found; 1819, pg 67 Linah Mims; he also shown on may following years.
- [S2030] Perrin, County of Christian, Kentucky, pg 281, shows Mr. Mimms came from Virginia about 1816-17, and settled about one mile west of Means' Spring; pp 277-8 describe location and settlement of that place.
- [S584] Linah Mimms household, 1820 U.S. Census, Christian Co., Kentucky.
- [S2021] Christian Co. Wills D:181-3.
- [S6477] "Cadets – Military Academy," pp 96-100.
- [S7768] Christian Co. Deeds, R:135, Addison Mimms to Robert Bradley, 1 Sep 1828.