ID# 13344, (1814 - 1858)
Spouse: Sarah Jane Mims (about 1819 - )
|Charts||Descendants of Linah and Rebeccah (Davis) Mims|
Narrative:Marcus Marcellus Tyler was born on 21 Oct 1814 in Caroline Co., Virginia.4,5
Marcus married Sarah Jane Mims, daughter of Linah Mims and Rebeccah Davis, on 25 May 1842 in Caldwell Co., Kentucky.6,7,8
Marcus served in the Kentucky Militia, reaching the rank of a major in the 55th Regiment. His appointment to that rank was confirmed by the Senate 27 Feb 1843.10
Marcus and Sarah appeared on the 1850 Federal Census of Trigg Co., Kentucky, enumerated 2 Aug 1850, with six of her nieces and nephews listed as living with them. They were Irene Cobb, daughter of her sister Julia; Linah and Robert Cobb, sons of her sister Cornelia; and Byron, Linah and John Mims, sons of her brother Davis.3 He listed his occupation as lawyer.3
When the Kentucky Senate convened for its new term on 3 Nov 1851 the first order of business was to elect a clerk. Next three candidates for the office of Assistant Clerk were nominated, including Marcus. However, after four votes another candidate was elected.11
On 20 Jun 1853 the Caldwell Co. County Court appointed trustees of the town of Eddyville, "the citizend of said town having failed to elect trustees at the time required by law." Marcus was one of five appointed to that office.12
Lyon Co. was formed effective 1 Apr 1854. Marcus was elected the first clerk to its County Court. He served in that office until his death.13
He was an active member of the Masonic order in Kentucky. He was Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, which had jurisdiction of all the lodges in the state, in 1854. He was Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Kentucky in 1856.14
Marcus died on 27 Oct 1858 at age 44.9 He was buried in Riverview Cemetery, Eddyville, Lyon Co., Kentucky.9
He died intestate (without leaving a will) and letters of administration for his estate were issued on 8 Nov 1858 to Maj. Robert H. Cobb, his nephew, after his wife waived her widow's right to administer his estate. Robert's father, Marcus's brother-in-law, acted as surety.15
- [S732] Caldwell Co. Marriage Records, loose papers, License for Marcus Marcellus Tyler and Miss Sarah Jane Mims, 25 May 1842.
- [S727] Caldwell Co. Marriage Bonds, Book B, no. 34, Marcus M. Tyler to Sarah Jane Mims, 25 May 1842.
- [S569] M. M. Tyler household, 1850 U.S. Census, Trigg Co., Kentucky.
- [S569] M. M. Tyler household, 1850 U.S. Census, Trigg Co., Kentucky, shows age 35, and state.
- [S500] Findagrave.com, online, memorial #6656693, Marcus Marcellus Tyler, shows date, and cites inscription showing county and state.
- [S732] Caldwell Co. Marriage Records, loose papers, License for Marcus Marcellus Tyler and Miss Sarah Jane Mims, 25 May 1842, shows date on return.
- [S727] Caldwell Co. Marriage Bonds, Book B, no. 34, Marcus M. Tyler to Sarah Jane Mims, 25 May 1842, shows date.
- [S569] M. M. Tyler household, 1850 U.S. Census, Trigg Co., Kentucky, shows both, apparently as husband and wife.
- [S500] Findagrave.com, online, memorial #6656693, Marcus Marcellus Tyler, citing tombstone.
- [S4558] Journal of the Senate of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1843, pg 354.
- [S4558] Journal of the Senate of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1851, pp 4-6.
- [S1971] Caldwell Co. Order Book, H:213.
- [S7590] Will Book, Lyon Co., Kentucky, 1:1 Marcus M. Tyler clerk of county court certified a will proved by county court 24 Apr 1854; 1:18-20, Marcus M. Tyler certified proof of a will 29 Jul 1858 and certification in the name of Marcus M. Tyler for court session 27 Sep 1858 signed by Rob Cobb, deputy clerk, for Marcus M Tyler, clerk.
- [S7591] Colins, History of Kentucky, 1:525.
- [S7589] Administator's Bonds, Lyon Co., Kentucky, 1:117, bond of Rob Cobb, with waiver of widow included.