ID# 1855, (1815 - 1859)
- Born: 22 Feb 1815 in Halifax Co., Virginia.1,4,5
- Died: 14 Jun 1859 in Memphis, Shelby Co., Tennessee.1,4,6,7
- Buried: in Elmwood Cemetery, Memphis, Tennessee.1,8
- Note: Dr. Tuck's given name has been reported as Joseph Jerome, but all records in Memphis use the name William J. or W. J. He has been reported to be the son of Davis Green Tuck by his wife Elizabeth Toot, but his tombstone shows his birth as three years before they married. The 1850 census shows his age a 31, which would place his birth after they married, but a Bible owned by Elizabeth's sister, which lists her other children born in Virginia, omits William, suggesting that he may have been by an earlier, unknown, marriage.
- 824 S. Dudley St., Memphis, Tennessee. Elmwood Cemetery. Wm. J. Tuck tombstone.
- S. R. Bruesch. "Early Medical History Of Memphis (1819-1861)." West Tennessee Historical Society Papers. Vol 2 (1948).
- Alethea Jane Macon, compiler. John and Edward Tuck of Halifax County, Virginia and Some of Their Descendants. Macon, Georgia: Southern Press, 1964.
- J. M. Walker, H. R. Robards and L. Shanks. "Death of Prof. W. J. Tuck." Nashville Journal of Medicine and Surgery. Vol 17 (1859).
- Tennessee. Shelby Co.. 1850 U.S. Census, population schedule. Micropublication M432-895. Washington: National Archives.
- "Death of Dr. W. J. Tuck." Memphis Daily Appeal. Memphis, Tennessee, 16 Jun 1859.
- Malcolm McNeil et al v. J. C. Mills and R. A Young. 403 Seventh Ave. North, Nashville, Tennessee. Tennessee State Library and Archives, transcript of proceedings of Circuit Court of Shelby Co.
- Jorja Frazier. "RE: Elmwood Cemetery - Atkinson - Bacon records." E-mail message. 11 Sep 2007.